Church History

St. James Lutheran Church was formed at the end of World War II, in April of 1945.  The following year, a small but passionate group of men and women made a down payment on the lot at 110 Phoenetia where the church still stands today, and dedicated a new building at the Palm Sunday service in April of 1947.  Already by 1950, St. James began development of a garden and an education building.  "The Garden of Our Lord" is one of only three biblical gardens in the United States, and continues through today to be a wonderful sanctuary for prayer and meditation.  Weddings and other receptions also are held in this lovely setting.  The education building also continues to have a vital place in the community.
 
St. James is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and part of the Florida-Bahamas Synod.